Blind my eyes and I still can see through the mist
To the very end, there I’ll face what I fear the most
- Demons and Wizards – Carry the blessed home
While the various beast tribes of the peninsula share lots of common elements in their culture, the individual tribes attitudes can differ vastly.
Most of the tribes have settled in small cities, with the cities being governed by the various tribes elders. Those that still live nomadic in the great plains follow their own tribes elders. The nomadic tribes are very welcome in the cities, as they bring trade and resources that are harder to obtain after you settle down and the nomads gain farmed food in exchange.
The core of beast tribe culture is adhering to Tawas Way. According to their legends, Tawa is the god of the sun, creator of the world. The tribes belief, that Tawa has sent the Skyfall to free Telar of the elven slavers. Staying on Tawas Way means behaving oneself, stay polite and mannered. This means, that even if you intend to fight someone, that you treat him with respect. “Losing your way” is a common phrase to describe people who mistreat others. The ultimate goal of Tawas Way is to come into a state of reverence and respect of all things and assist the Caretakers.
Names are selected by a parent and once an individual reaches adulthood, they get to choose their own name, which often harkens to a major event in the persons live or a distinct feature of their body. When not with others of their kind, the name tend to be translated into whichever language is spoken by the non-beasts.
Single tribes are mixed between the various subraces:
- Kwevu – Wolf people
- Toho – Cats of the southern expanse
- Joonaw – Bears
- Kokopelli – Coyotes
- Leetayo – Foxes
- Kawayo – Horse
- Maqto – Crows
- Sawya – Bats
- Tokpela – Falcons
One exceptions are the Kokopelli. The coyotes tend to stand outside of the tribes, forming a big super tribe. While they participate and join other tribes, they tend to pack their things and go whenever they please.
If you choose to play as a Beast Tribe, modify your character as follows:
- Add 1 to your Perception ability.
- Pick one of the following ability focuses: Perception (Hearing) or _Perception (Smelling)
- Your Speed is requal to 12 + Dexterity (minus armor penalty if applicable)
- You can speak and read Tsange and the Common Tongue.
- Roll twice on the Beast Tribe Benefits table for additional benefits. Roll 2d6 and add the dice together. If you get the same result twice, re-roll until you get something different.
Beast Tribe Benefits
- 2: +1 Constitution
- 3-4: Focus: Intelligence (Cultural Lore)
- 5: Focus: Dexterity (Stealth)
- 6: Weapon Group: Bows*
- 7-8: Focus: Accuracy (Brawling)
- 9: +1 Fighting
- 10-11: Focus: Constitution (Running)
- 12: +1 Willpower